Identifying Guru ExploitationWhat I am posting below is not intended to be a cynical rant or to single out SRCM specifically. In fact many of the things I mention below are actual tools used by capable Leaders to run corporations and organizations around the world.
I am outlining these Seven Techniques as a way of leveling the playing field. It is important for every individual involved in any organization to discrimiate between necessary techniques used by good leaders to achieve a noble end, verses exploiting techniques for the drunken lust for power and control.
It is not a bad practice to review every organization one belongs in order to determine if un-warranted exploitation is occuring. I encourage those within SRCM to examine these techniques used in their organization and ask themselves if a "light structure" has been created for the achievement of high spiritual ideals, or if a autocratic power structure has been established to manipulate and control the masses.
I leave this determination up to each individual.
Seven Techniques Used By Gurus to Control The Masses
Establish High Ideals
• Establish noble, high sounding principles, such as selfless service, closeness to God, and brotherly/sisterly love.
• Insist that your teachings are free and the birthright of all.
• Demonstrate charity in a highly visible manner.
Define and Enforce Exclusivity in the Organization
• Every Guru must have an exclusive hook to differentiate themselves from others.
• The exclusive nature of the system or Guru must be re-emphasized at every opportunity.
• Disciples are trained to also extol the virtues of the system’s exclusivity in every conversation.
Exploit a Higher Authority
• Designate a “Higher Authority” that can be attributed to for literally everything.
• Higher Authority must be easily identifiable by disciples. Abstract higher authorities such as “God” are generally not as effective as a dead person.
• It is critical that the Guru can claim to be in direct communication with this Higher Authority.
• The Guru’s example of love and servitude to this Higher Authority serves as an example to disciples as to how to treat their Guru.
• Miracles, which happen naturally in an emotionally charged environment, can be attributed to this Higher Authority
• Disciples will naturally transfer all things credited to the Higher Authority to their living Guru.
Establish and Maintain an Inner Circle
• Guru creates contentious environment around themselves for people to earn their trust.
• Those who fight the hardest and most effectively for inner circle status are rewarded with positions of authority and grandeur.
• The Guru must treat inner circle members with strictness and humiliation when necessary to maintain their loyalty and subservience.
• The Hierarchy established through the Inner Circle is a critical tool for a Guru to maintain exclusive control as the organization grows.
Foster the Image of Humility
• The Guru will exploit any ailments or physical injuries to get sympathy by silently suffering.
• If no physical ailments exist, the Guru can use exhaustion from serving his disciples as an ailment.
• The Guru does not directly complain about ailments, but uses the Inner Circle to propagate stories of his humble suffering for the cause.
Establish and Maintain Total Control
• Demand total devotion and trust
• Guru uses their own total devotion and trust to their “Higher Authority” as an example
• Blame all disciples failings on not having sufficient faith in the Higher Authority or lack of dedication to the practice.
Reap the Benefits
• Establish an organization to hold and manage wealth collected.
• Exploit that wealth through the organization, not directly
• Enjoy the services of devoted disciples as their expression of devotion to the Higher Authority.